The presents are open, the leftovers are slowly being eaten and you are dreading the clean-up process.
It’s never as fun to put everything away as it is to put everything up. However, it must be done and I’ve come up with a few tips to make the process a little easier. If you have ideas that have made your clean-up easier please add them to the comments section.
- Turn on your favorite music on to ease into the process – pick something up beat and fun… dance your way through the clean-up!
- Sort and edit the decorations – only pack up the items you love and donate the rest… or
- Throw an undecorating party – invite your family and friends and have a decoration swap and use the extra hands to help with the clean-up
- Use clean bins to pack away decorations – they’ll be easy to identify next year
- Number storage bins if you have decorations you want to open first next year
- Twinkle lights last about 90 days so if you’ve had them more than three years they are not worth keeping – after the holidays is a perfect time to stock up because they’re usually a fraction of the price
- Like the way a certain decoration looked this year? Take a picture and put it in the box with the decorations for next year – no need to reinvent the wheel if you know you like it
- Don’t know what to do with the holiday cards you received this year, but you don’t want to throw them away? Punch two holes in them and hold them together with silver rings – a holiday card book!
Clean-up doesn’t have to be painful – just have fun with it and the more organized and clearly labeled your storage bins, the easier it will be to unpack next year!
Happy New Year! 2012 is going to be your year to live your best life… Organized!